What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is one of the many water-soluble vitamins. Famed for its founding story of scurvy, vitamin C is one of the most understood nutrients by the wider population. Unfortunately in recent years due to the declining nutrient density of the nation’s populations we have seen a resurgence in vitamin C deficiency in the 1st world. A disease that hasn’t been present since 18th century.
To read more about the resurgence of scurvy click here: https://www.sciencealert.com/scurvy-coming-back-vitamin-c-poverty-massachusetts-boston-vitamania-movie
History of Ascorbic Acid
Nowadays we have fantastic campaigns such as ‘5-a-day' which ensures we get our vitamins, minerals and fibres. This kind of attitude towards fruits and vegetables didn’t exist back then, and people believed that raw fruits and vegetables spread diseases, so many avoided them. As a result, diets were predominantly made up of grains. Which in itself is part of a healthy diet, but not very balanced.
The story goes that sailor Vasco De Gama set on their voyage from Portugal to India. Detailed accounts of the time stated that crew members experienced pain and even death as a result of what we now know as ‘scurvy’. It wasn’t until 1753 that James Lind wrote about the association between citrus fruits and a reduction in the rates of scurvy in sailors although he wasn’t aware of Vitamin C being the reason at the time.
Daily Requirement & Food Sources of Vitamin C
- Kiwi fruit, 1 medium- 64mg
- Strawberries, 80 grams - 49mg
- Broccoli, 50 grams - 39mg
- Peas, 70 grams- 8mg
- Tomatoes, 1 medium- 17mg
- Orange, 1 medium- 70mg
- Red Peppers, 75 grams- 95mg
- Green Peppers, 75 grams- 60mg
- Potatoes, 1 medium- 17mg
The recommended daily requirement for vitamin C is 80mg per day for an adult over 19 years. You can see this is super-attainable to achieve 80mg of vitamin C per day when eating your 5 fruits or vegetables a day.
Listed below are all the health benefits of Vitamin C according to the European Food Safety Authority:
- Contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of blood vessels
- Contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of bones
- Contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of cartilage
- Contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of gums
- Contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of skin
- Contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of teeth
- Contributes to normal energy-yielding metabolism
- Contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system
- Contributes to the regeneration of the reduced form of vitamin E
- Contributes to normal psychological function
- Contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress
- Increases iron absorption
Turmeric, Honey and Vitamin C Tablets
The best-selling Biovit's Turmeric and Honey Tablet contains high-quality turmeric extract with active curcuminoids, alongside honey (propolis) and Vitamin C. Take one soothing tablet a day for a beneficial effect on aching bones and joints, as well as the normal function of the immune system. Each dosage contains 80mg of vitamin C or 100% of your daily needs.
Over 50s Multivitamin Tablets
Biovit's Over 50s formulation is a clever A-Z blend of vitamins, minerals and additional herbals. This formula has been specifically created to maintain healthy bones, boost cognitive function, immune health and general wellbeing. Each pack contains 62.5% of your daily Vitamin C needs
Circulation Maxx Tablets
Biovit's Circulation Maxx tablets contain 4 powerful ingredients including beetroot, vitamin C, grapeseed and cinnamon with active nitrates and polyphenols. The Vitamin C in this formulation helps to support normal blood vessel structure and function. While improving circulation and reducing the feeling of heavy legs. Each dosage contains 400mg of Vitamin C or 500% of your daily requirements.
Cranberry Relief Tablets
Biovit's Cranberry relief has been formulated with 4 soothing ingredients including cranberry, green tea, vitamin C and D-mannose. This formula helps to contribute to the normal function of the immune system, whilst maintaining healthy urinary elimination. Each dosage contains 160mg of Vitamin C or 200% of your daily requirements.
Biovit’s Pollen-ease calluses contain Quercetin, Vitamins A&C. These have been scientifically formulated to support seasonal immunity and contribute to normal mucous membranes in the nose to help with typical seasonal allergy symptoms. Each capsule contains 40mg of Vitamin C, or 50% of your daily needs.
Biovit's Supplejoint contains 9 ingredients for joint health, collagen, chondroitin, glucosamine, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, blackcurrant, vitamin C and copper. This formulation has been created for normal cartilage function, joint mobility and suppleness with inflammation-reducing properties. Each dosage contains 240mg of Vitamin C or 300% of your daily needs.